Wednesday, October 28, 2009

getting CLOSE

(Techniques to draw within camera range of wild subjects)
Step 1.
Do your homework.
Know that it is the right season for the wildlife you are shooting to likely be seen. Understand some of the animals' behavior so that you can capture the great shot of a full wing spanned or an elk bugling, etc. Find an area that will complement your wildlife shot. For instance, make sure that the background will not outshine or distract from the wildlife itself.
Step 2.
Be smart, use common sense.
Respect the wildlife. If they are uncomfortable and move away from you, do not follow. For instance, once when I was on a drive through the back roads of Harlowton, MT, I spotted a porqupine. We traveled off of the road so that I could get a photo of it. It took off running the other way, and was actually much faster than I would have imagined. The right thing to do would have been to give the animal its space, but I really wanted a picture. I snapped a quick picture and left the porqupine alone. On the other hand, if this animal was in a zoo, it would have been much more comfortable around me. Animals have very good instincts and are aware of humans.
Step 3.
Whether or not an animal will let you near, depends on your stalking strategy. You can directly approach the animal which may be a bit intimidating to some animals. You can slowly approach while looking in the opposite direction, avoiding eye contact and pretending you are not aware of the animal. Or, you can be very quiet, slow and attempt to remain unseen. I would be terrible at the last strategy. I would probably get amazingly close and just when I go to reach out my camera, snap a nearby twig, scare the animal, and miss a perfect opportunity. Plus, with knowing how aware the animals are as it is, I would not trust this way to be the most effective. When stalking, for lack of a better word, avoid trapping them or making them feel uncomfortable. Again, just be aware and acknowledge their behavior.
Step 4.
The planning may take long than the actual photography, but if you are patient and have set up the shot to your best ability, it will most likely be worth it in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment